Spiced avocado smash with bacon, egg and feta, is a super easy recipe. Check out the Video below I normally use this as a quick easy breakfast when I am craving a bit of bacon and eggs! It’s got a few added elements of a …
Crispy chilli cups- what are they? A layer of rice, stacked with chilli, a sprinkle of cheese. All sitting in a perfectly crispy cup! Crispy chilli cups are an add on from my slow cooker healthy chilli. https://www.justnicole.co.uk/slow-cooker-healthy-chilli/ And my https://www.justnicole.co.uk/wild-thai-lemon-rice/ This is a brilliant …
Let’s talk about tandoori chicken! Well even though the title says Tandoori Chicken, this marinade will work with whatever meat you chose to use
Tandoori gets the name from the bell-shaped tandoor oven, I could only dream of having one!
But I am going to assume you guys don’t have one either!
Instead, I’ve come up with this recipe, cooked in the slow cooker for tenderness then blow torched for the char.
238 cal per portion and 38g protein makes this a must cook for anyone who tracks macros!
As I’ve mentioned before my father is from India, so I have a complete food crush on Indian cuisine.
Sadly I live in a house with an iddy biddy kitchen. Which may already be loaded to the brim with cooking bits and pieces.
(It totally is! And, I am not sorry!)
At any rate, two things I have not convinced my husband to let me have (yet)
A proper pizza oven and a tandoor (one day I will win)
Oh, ok, three things… a dehydrator. Buuuut Christmas is coming soon. And I live in hope that Santa will Break in through the window (we have no chimney), and leaves me a shiny new toy…
anyway, let’s back back to food!
The tandoori marinade consists of yoghurt, lemon juice and 9 spices. (11 if you want bright red-Harissa and Tumeric) As these aren’t essential I will just add them as a note on the bottom of the recipe.
In an ideal world I would say leave this marinating overnight, and use chicken thighs! I have used chicken breast because it was on discount and am thrifty/ tight.
But because that isn’t always an option, I will give a guide of at least 3hrs.
The longer it sits the better the flavour.
For Tandoori Chicken Thighs
When using thighs, keep the bone in for extra flavour. I promise it will slide out clean and easily, but thighs really do hold their moisture over a stint in the slow cooker!
Don’t forget to score them with a knife for quicker cooking time and deeper marinadiness, ( Yes, I’ve just made up a word!)
If you use thighs with the skin on, why not try making some Chicken skin crisps. It adds texture and flavour and looks a bit fancy.
Well, I guess it works out best that David hasn’t caved and let me spend a fair few pounds on a clay oven. For example, it means I’ve had a chance to experiment.
This chicken is marinated, popped in the slow cooker and charred with a blow torch. A grill will probably work just as well, but I’ve got a new gadget, thus I NEED to use it!
(Yes, I know, I have issues…)
I’ve used Harissa and turmeric to achieve the colouring, However, in my honest opinion, you can easily skip that, and opt for a few drops of red food colouring instead. Or just leave it natural! Above all, it is your choice.
Most important is this is flexible, therefore you can make it what you want.
Serve it alongside my spinach, mushroom and garlic rice, or with my mini naan breads!
I am in the middle of writing a post with a guide to making your own spice mixes such as garam masala, so if that’s something you want to learn more about, keep an eye out for it.
I hope you enjoy the tandoori chicken recipe, don’t forget to tag me in your pictures so I can see how yours turned out!
- Slow Cooker
- Marinade tub
- Grill or blow torch
- 1 kg Chicken breast or thigh score thighs or dice breast
- 1 cup Plain Yoghurt
- half tbsp Coriander I've used both ground and dried before and both work well
- Half lemon Juiced 2-3 tbls if using bottled
- Half tbsp Cumin
- Half tbsp Cayenne Pepper Adjust to your preference, this is'nt overly spicy but has got a warmth behind it
- Half Tbsp Turmeric
- I.5 Tbsp Paprika Looking for sweet not spicy here
- half tbsp Smoked Paprika
- 1 tbsp Tandoori masala
- 4 Cloves Garlic Crushed
- 2 tbsp Ginger fresh or powder
- half tsp salt
- splash part boiled water if you need marinade slightly thinner
- Just add water to adjust thickness/flavour intensity
- 1 medium White onion Thinly sliced
- pour yoghurt and all spices into plastic tub/ bowl
- Stir through until evenly mixed
- place in Marinade and leave for a few hours at least (ideally overnight)
- Heat a pan with a spritz of oil
- Place chicken thighs skin down and allow to sear about 4-5 minutes
- flip over and repeat
Slow cooker time
- pop all chicken into slow cooker thighs will take longer then breast, you will know it is done when you can cut is with a fork
Finishing the dish
- Blow torch for a few minutes to char. Or pop under the grill until the char is to your liking