Smokey Bean and Mushroom Burger
What is better than a burger? Add in the fact this smokey bean and mushroom burger comes in at 62p per serving. And is Healthy too, and I am in heaven!
Let’s address the elephant in the room, this is a meat-free burger….. It isn’t trying to pretend to be meat.
However, it’s beautiful for what it is. A healthy meal that tastes great and gives you a healthy alternative to your typical fast food!
It’s smokey with a little heat, earthiness coming from the mushrooms and texture coming from the red kidney beans.
Crunchy on the outside, soft in the middle.
Pop it on a bun, top with cheese (and an egg for an extra 6g of protein)
You’ll find a brilliantly balanced meal that you can slip into your meal plan, or pop it on the menu at your next summer BBQ to give vegetarians a delicious option!
I make this a few times a month, my husband opts for a double burger, with an egg, the boys like it with slices of onion and tomatoes. And me, I just like finding time to sit down and enjoy it!
Smokey mushroom bean burger comes in at
161 Calories, 3g fat, 24g carbs and 11g of protein per 200g burger. It’s hard to not be able to include this in your eating plan.
Serve it with some sweet potato baked fries and enjoy.
For more Vegetarian friendly recipes check out
or the vegan friendly
I hope You enjoy these recipes as much as I enjoy sharing them.
Don’t forget to tag me in your pictures so I can see what you have been cooking up!
Smokey Mushroom and Bean Burger
- Food processor
- frying pan
- Large bowl
- 2 400g tins red kidney beans (in water) Drained this will come to around 480g
- 600 g mushrooms diced Any will do, I used portobello, chestnut and closed cup
- 1 medium onion diced
- 3 cloves garlic crushed
- 60 g breadcrumbs pop a slice of bread in food processor and blitz until fine
- 1 large egg depending on how much you dry the ingredients you may need to add another one to bind, but one generally works
- half tbsp Yellow mustard
- 1 tbsp mustard seeds
- 1 tbsp cumin powder use seeds if you like extra texture
- 1 tsp chilli flakes optional
- half diced fresh chilli
- 1 tbso paprika
- half tbsp smoked paprika
- half tsp black pepper
- 1 egg fried
- 20 g smoked cheese
- Heat a pan on a medium heat
- Add onions, mushrooms, garlic and chilli to the pan
- Cook for 10-15 minutes to dry out the moisture from the ingredients
- while they are dying in the pan open the kidney beans
- rinse allow them to drain in a colander
- once mushrooms have decreased n size and onions are soft remove from heat
- tip the now drained beans into the food processor and blitz until beans are broken up but still chunky
- tip into a bowl
- add onion and mushroom mix to food processor and blitz until smooth
- tip into the bowl with the beans
- Add remainder of ingredients and mix together until fully combined
- Shape into burgers ready for use
Cooking the burgers 2 ways your choice
In a pan
- In a non stick pan heat on medium heat and cook for 10 minutes turning frequently
- Place on a sheet of baking paper and cook on medium heat for 25 mins turning half way through